Why Set Up Parental Controls on Your Kids Google Play Accounts?
Raising a new generation of kids requires a new set of skills. Today, when a large population of the kids has access to smartphones and the Internet, it has become important for parents to improve their ability to track their children’s activity.
Parents who are new to the digital age find it quite difficult to make sure that the content on the Internet does not affect their children’s ability to learn and develop. The increasing cases of cyber fraud and online bullying definitely make it more challenging for the parents.
Therefore, in this post, we are going to share the importance of setting up parental control on your child’s device. Not just that, we are also going to help you set up parental controls on your kids’ Google Play account. So, let’s get started!
Why Set Up Parental Controls on Google Play Accounts?
Here are some of the reasons why you should set up parental controls on your child’s devices. Let’s talk about them in detail.
1. Monitor Your Kid’s Devices
Your kids need to know how to become a good online citizen. They should know who they need to be friends with online and you can help them know that. You can do that by keeping a tab on their smart devices and controlling access to apps that are unsafe for your kids. There are many parental control apps that you can use to monitor the content your kid consumes on the Internet.
2. Blocks Certain Features of An App
Even the gaming consoles come with Internet access which allows your kids to surf the Internet while playing video games. But, you must ensure that your kid uses the credit card connected to the account carefully. The aftermath of in-app purchases, when left unnoticed, can really reflect on your bank account.
3. Helps Establish Cyber Safety Habits
Did you know that cybercrime is a multi-billion dollar industry? Cybercriminals are often looking for people that practice poor cybersecurity habits. Since your kid is growing up and learning new things, it is important that they do not engage in any risky online behavior which goes on to you making them disclose too much information.
4. Control Screen Time
With the help of parental control, you can limit the screen time of your kids and prevent them from glowing to their smart devices. This will help them detach from the ‘smart world’ and interact with the real world and the physical surroundings.
How to Set Up Parental Control on Google Play Accounts?
In this section, we will be discussing the best way to set up Google Play Parental Control on your kids’ Google Play accounts. This is by far the easiest and most direct way of doing it. All you have to do is get access to the Play Store on your child’s phone and follow the below-mentioned steps. These are quite easy steps to follow and you only have to follow them once to set parental control.
1. Get access to Google Play Store on your child’s smartphone. This smartphone might be locked or the app’s access might be limited. So, you have to get some help from your kids to unlock the phone
2. Once you are in, open Google Play Store and navigate to the settings menu. There, scroll down and click on the Parental Controls option.
3. There will be a toggle switch which says ‘Parental Controls Are Off’. You will have to turn that toggle switch on.
4. When you do that, Google Play Store will ask you to input a pin code. The code is for you and not for your child. Therefore, make sure you pick one that is hard to crack. Once you enter the pin a second time, you will be asked to confirm your selection.
5. You will go back to the settings menu and you will see that the parent portal control settings are on.
But, that is just the first half. Now that you have turned on parental controls, it’s time that you configure them as well.
The Google Play Store defaults to keeping the app filter free. This means it will not block any content on the app.
So, it is important that you configure your parental control settings to be sure that any inappropriate content does not show up on your child’s device. Here’s how you can do it.
1. Go back to the parental controls menu and now tap on Apps and Games option. You should be able to see a list of ESRB style ratings.
2. Now it’s up to you to decide the maximum rating you want your child to access. To help you through it you might want to consider the child’s age. Let’s say if your child is a teenager, you don’t want them to get access to mature content.
3. You can choose the teen setting which will allow your kid to access content that a teen should consume.
4. Once you are done with it, click on the Save button and repeat the process for movies, TV, Books, and music.
Done with all the above steps, the phone will allow your child to access content which is appropriate with their age. Google Play Store will change its search result according to the parental control setting you have set. In case the child tries to access adult content on the web, the app will ask them to enter the pin in which you earlier set up.
There you have it. We have shared why it is important for you to set parental control on your child’s device. We hope now you have much clarity on why it is important to track your children’s activity on the web and make the conversation about cybersecurity more transparent. We hope this piece of content brought great value to you. If you have questions, feel free to put them down in the comment section!
Protect your family and kids from inappropriate content and websites with complete parental controls.
Block unwanted sites and content. Keep your family safe!